Monday, March 7, 2011

Arcigay Reflection

During the past 10ish or so weeks I have been volunteering at Arcigay. A non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and regulating rights of the LGBT community in Rome. Since it was founded in 1985, Arcigay combats prejudice and discrimination against homosexuals today in today’s society. At schools children are still being harasses and same sex couples have no rights – they are not recognized by law. Arcigay is working change this issues. Therefore:
·         Provide support through telephone help lines, group help and counseling
·         Make sexual orientation workshops for secondary school teachers
·         Provides legal assistance to those who suffer discrimination
·         Fight for the rights and recognition of same-sex couples and combat discrimination
·         Strives to fight HIV/AIDS, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the Institute of Health
·         Promotes the integration and visibility of gay people in society and participate in Gay Pride parade
·         Carries out projects at European level in the context of International Lesbian & Gay Association (ILGA), against discrimination, to promote physical and mental health of young gay men, HIV/AIDS, to combat homophobia and bullying in schools
These are the main activities that Arcigay engages on to ensure the rights of homosexuals in Italy today.

My initial impressions of the site have morphed. Initially, I would bring my frames of reference from back home as a point of reference to attempt to understand the situation of homosexual s in Italy today. However, once I began to integrate – get to know the situation and struggles of homosexuals in Italy I discovered that the “gay scene” is different. Back home, Seattle, the LGBT community has somewhat of a safety zone with Capitol Hill. That is no to say that still today there are attacks of hate crimes. However, at least during day light one has a sense of security. Transitioning back to Italy, I soon discovered that Italy is not so tolerant of differences – sexual or other. As I became knowledgeable about homosexuals situation in Italy, I myself felt uncomfortable walking down the streets. Both, in the US and in Italy, I still walk along the streets with the fear that a stranger will bring it on himself/herself to find a reason to mistreat me. It is important to note, that there could be similar and different factors that could drive people to act in such manner. For example, the presence of the Church in Italy carries a big weight; when organizations like Arcigay fight for equality. My frames of reference have shifted to better understand the situation of homosexuals in Italy today.

I have grown as a person and as a gay man; while being a participant in Arcigay. It has reinforced the idea that one can be gay and be an engineer… or a doctor, a teacher. One can be oneself. I would have like to be more engaged in Arcigay’s participation with schools. I would like to know how they are connecting with schools and teaching teachers with sexual orientation workshops. Do they also conduct workshop to help teachers identify and successfully prevent bullying in schools? How accepting are schools of such efforts. I also would have like to have been a participant of their group discussions. Even if it was just to observe and listen and somewhat understand. However, I do realize that my curiosity and willing to be actively involved and learn more about the organization is limited by time. This is because Arcigay is operated by volunteers. What a way to pay it forward and make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment